Born in 1952 in West Bengal, Tapas Sarkar, graduated from the Government College of Art & Craft in Kolkata. His work is inspired by mythology and the Kalighat tradition of Bengal painting. He creates iconic figuration in re-interpretation as contemporary narratives. His colourful sculptures appear in varied media and materials, including terracotta, plaster, glass-wool, aluminum, bronze, and scrap. Founder Member and Secretary of the group ‘Calcutta Sculptors’, he worked as a modeler and headed the studio at the Indian Museum in Kolkata for several years but gave that up to take to fulltime sculpting. Recipient of the Ministry of Culture’s Senior Fellowship, he has also been honoured with state and national awards including the Governor’s Gold Medal, Academy of Fine Arts, RabindraBharati University and M.P. State Lalit Kala Academy awards.
- Graduated from Govt. Collage of Art & Craft, Kolkata. 1975.
Ganesh Janani 1Tapas Sarkar₹100,000.00
Ganesh JananiTapas Sarkar₹100,000.00
- Recipient of several awards and honours from various state and national level bodies. These include the Academy of Fine Arts, Kolkata, Rabindra Bharati University & State Lalit Kala Akademi, M.P.
- 2016 : India art Gallery, Pune
- 2016 : Artists Centre presented by India art Gallery
- 2015 : Solo show at Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi
- M. P. Eleven Solo and Eight Joint Exhibitions in Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad & Santiniketan.